On 05/06/2017 03:38 PM, charles meyer wrote:

> In special characters I typed in 211E in the Decimal box but did not get
> the prescription symbol.

211E is hexadecimal, not decimal. As such, when using the decimal box,
the E from 211E will be discarded. For the decimal box, use 271.

> Aren’t hexcodes standard so Libre Writer should match MS Word?

Yes.

LibO is, for all practical purposes, Unicode 9.0 conformant:
* The major exception being the bicoloured emoji;
* The minor exceptions being issues with the font rendering engine;
* The most common reason for LibO appearing to not be Unicode 9.0
conformant, is that the font is crafted for Unicode 5.0, not Unicode 9.0;

However, the font designer has the final say:
* Most fonts are designed for Unicode 5.0 specifications;
* It is par for CJKV fonts to display the wrong glyph, because it is
designed for another language;
* The less said about Indus Valley Writing Systems, the better;

> Otherwise, you’d had to scroll through every symbol chart to find it.

LibO assumes that one has at least a general idea of which sub-set of
the Unicode 9.0 Character Code set the glyph to be used is in.

Individual fonts, and typefaces include or exclude specific glyphs on
whim. As such, one might have to scroll several different fonts and
typefaces to find the specific glyph.

jonathon