Hi Pieter,

> I need a printed (paper or PDF) report from a small selection of my DB. I
> am puzzled what is the best way to achieve that.
> Filter?
> Query?
> other?
> I am new to Base (but no PC dummy!)

Best way to get a report is:
Create a table "filter", which will only be needed for filter-values.
One row, PrimaryKey could be a boolean-field.
Create a query for all needed fields.
Include the "filter"-table for the conditions in the query.
If query will show, what you will get, create a view of this query.

Report-Builder will better work with views than queries.

Here you could find the Base Handbook 4.0 in English:
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/
And here you could get it for LO 5.3 in German:
http://de.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/

Regards

Robert