I'm having a struggle with Calc. I trying to migrate over from Excel but have a problem.

When I type [=1+1.5] into a cell, I get "Invalid Name" error. If I save the file as an xlsx and open in Excel it calculates OK and give 2.5. If I then open the xlsx in LO, it still says "Invalid Name".

If I put [=1+1,5], I get ERR: 509. This makes sense since I'm in Canada and we use "." to separate decimals.

If I put [=1+1] LO correctly calculates "2" with no error.

I have older LO spreadsheets that calculate OK. Every new CALC spreadsheet has this problem.

I'm not sure how to figure out why I get this error and why LO won't calculate such a basic equation.

What should I be looking at?

Mac OSX 10.10.5
LO 5.3.4 & 5.4

I'm on daily digest mode so please cc me when you reply to the list.

Thank you in advance.
B.