Hi,

At 22.06.2007 15:30, Volker Böhme wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with routing and ipv6.
> Consider the following senario: i have three PCs setup in a chain (A - B -
> C ). All PCs do only have one NIC.
>
> A has Ipv6-Address 2001::1
> B has Ipv6-Address 2001::2
> C has Ipv6-Address 2001::3
>
> The following routes exist on PC A:
> 2001::2 via eth0
> 2001::3 via gateway 2001::2
>
> On PC B i have the this routes:
> 2001::1 via eth0
> 2001::3 via eth0
>
> On PC C:
> 2001::2 via eth0
> 2001::1 via gateway 2001::2
>
> PC A can talk to PC B and PC B can talk to PC C. No direct communikation
> between PC A and PC C is possible (i am simulating wireless connections).
> I can send a ping6 from A->B, B->A, B->C, C->B. My problem now is, that i
> cannot send a ping6 from A->C. Forwarding has been enabled by doing "echo 1
>> /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding". I think i have found out why this
> is not possible. When PC B gehts the data
> from PC A it has to look in is neighbour solicitaion table to get the
> linklayeraddress from PC C. Now we have the case, that there is no entry for
> PC C and so PC B is sendeing a ICMP6 host unreachable message back to A. This
> is where the error occurs. In my opinion PC B first have to try to get the
> linklayeraddress from PC C by sending a neighbour solicitation message but it
> is no doing that it directly sends back the host unreachable message.  When i
> add PC A and PC B in the neighbour solicitation list on PC B by hand
> everything works fine.
>
> My question now is do i have forget to configure something? Do i have done
> something wrong? Or can this be a bug in the kernel?

Which prefix lengths do you use? Usually, each link has a /64, don't
play around with /128 on local networks.

Improve your IPv6 setup by a more realistic configuration with proper
prefixes and try again (and think about whether you want to use routing
or bridging).

BTW: you should at least use fec0:: addresses for local testing or take
the prefix from the documentation space (2001:db80::/32) or use a Unique
Local prefix, if you have no proper global /48 prefix assigned to you.

        Peter
--
Dr. Peter Bieringer                     http://www.bieringer.de/pb/
GPG/PGP Key 0x958F422D                       mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]