b) is probably possible, but not recommended

When we want to share some configuration between plugins, the usual solution is
to define a convention on a property name: see for example maven.test.skip that
is supported both by maven-compiler-plugin [1], Surefire [2], nar-maven-plugin
in multiple goals [3] [4] [5]

Regards,

Hervé

[1]