Seeing that I can ! the property value in a profile activation, I assumed there
were three states to consider when evaluating the property activation:

    1. Property not set
    2. Property set and value does not match
    3. Property set and value does match

With this assumption I thought that with profiles such as these

    <profiles>
        <profile>
            <id>default-reactor</id>
        </profile>
        <profile>
            <id>platform-reactor</id>

        </profile>
        <profile>
            <id>all-platforms-reactor</id>

        </profile>
    </profiles>

I would only see one of the three profiles active at a time. However when I run
Maven 'mvn help:active-profiles' with no 'platform' property then both the
'default-reactor' and 'platform-reactor' are active. When I set the 'platform'
property then I see the behavior I expected. Looking at the source

https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/38300cf2832e9a40198091aa9e0bf6d3dbc3268d/maven-model-builder/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/model/profile/activation/PropertyProfileActivator.java#L95

It's doing a string compare of the activation's declared property value against
the context's property value, but it's not checking the context has a property
set. But I would infer from the comment on L94 ("we have a value, so it has to
match the system value...") that an unset property should not match a !value
activation.

Should I open a JIRA issue as a bug, or as a feature request?

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and
privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review,
use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are
not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the
intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all
copies of this message.