Hello Maven aficionados!

I am currently discussing on GitHub with one of the Gentoo packagers the
possibility of packaging my group's Maven-based projects for Gentoo.

The relevant issue is here:
     https://github.com/imagej/imagej/issues/162

However, the issues are hardly unique to my projects. This has become a
very general discussion of rebuilding and packaging Maven projects.

My questions are:
* Does anyone here use Gentoo?
* Has anyone packaged their Maven-based stuff for it?
* Does anyone know of a _general_ process for doing so?

I am very interested in creating such a process if it does not already
exist. I believe that Maven is poised to make doing this very easy -- much
easier than without it -- even for Java projects with a large number of
dependencies, due to its well-structured nature and clear metadata
declarations in the POM.

Do others agree? Disagree? I have seen other threads here in the past about
building an entire Java dependency hierarchy from source, and how the
-sources JARs are not intended for that. But nothing about real-world tools
for actually doing it, which are driven by the POM metadata and package
things recursively in a way that works for source-oriented Linux
distributions, or otherwise for reproducibility.

Comments and ideas very welcome.

Regards,
Curtis

--