First of all, if you want to do releases you WILL need a centralized
(remote) repo where you can deploy that to. It doesn't make sense for every
developer to build their own copy of any release of your internal artifacts.

Secondly, you don't need to deploy your artifacts to a remote repo. You can
do that to your local repo (~/.m2/repository/). This is typically what you
do during development, but it also works for releases. However, it will
then not be available for anyone else but yourself and that will force
everyone to build every release (which is not the right way).
So if I understand your case you could skip the local Nexus and go with
"mvn install" (even for releases).

Or you could force everyone to have a local Nexus and have a common setup.
Thus, no need for using profiles or something to get different behavior for
different users.

Profiles are evil. Don't use them as they will cause other issues typically.

/Anders