I think I do similar and I simply use
-DpropertyName=newValueForProperty on the command line when executing
the maven command, or via a profile and then activate the required
profile.

Just checking the property is already defined in a pom e.g.
<project>...<properties>...<propertyName>oldValueForProperty</propertyName>

At build time I would simply change the command line I'm using to
build. I do this type of thing all the line when testing new
dependencies, different external systems, loading different
properties/config via a different dependency.

John