Thank you for the tip.  I looked into the NioSocketSession.filterChain and I
could see my protocolcodecfactory object there.  Here is how I am adding the
filters:

protected static void addFilters(Properties props, NioSocketAcceptor
acceptor, ProtocolCodecFactory factory)
    {
        DefaultIoFilterChainBuilder chain = acceptor.getFilterChain();
        String threadCountStr = props.getProperty("threads");
        int threadCount = threadCountStr == null ? s_threadCount :
Integer.parseInt(threadCountStr.trim());
        chain.addLast("protocol", new ProtocolCodecFilter(factory));
        if (threadCount > 0) {
            ExecutorFilter filter = new ExecutorFilter(0, threadCount,
s_timeout, TimeUnit.SECONDS);
            chain.addLast("limiter", filter);
        }
    }

The above method is being shared to create filter chains for the old port as
well as new port.  Do you think the name "protocol" is causing some
conflicts?  As the same name "protocol" is being used to add the code filter
factory for both instances of the acceptors?