We could identify what the problem is at last.  While sending the response
back to the client, we created a IoBuffer and added the bytes to the same
and did a session.write().  And we identified that if the response is of
type IoBuffer, Mina filter chain won't act on invoke the filters based on
this line:

ProtocolCodecFilter:filterWrite():

// Bypass the encoding if the message is contained in a IoBuffer,
        // as it has already been encoded before
        if ((message instanceof IoBuffer) || (message instanceof
FileRegion)) {
            nextFilter.filterWrite(session, writeRequest);
            return;
        }

Somehow I missed that check and was scrambling why the filter is not getting
used.  May be it might be helpful for future developers if this is
documented properly.