At 12:52 26/03/2017 -0400, Vince Bonly wrote:
AOO 4.1.3  (AOO413m1(Build:9783)  -  Rev. 1761381
2016-09-29 02:39:19) on Windows 10 desktop.

Whenever I already have a Calc file (.ods) opened, it seems that I am not allowed to open an existing Calc template file (.odt).

Hold on: .odt files are text document files; spreadsheet templates are .ots.

And I don't see this. If I have one spreadsheet document open and open a spreadsheet template, I have two documents open: the original spreadsheet and a new untitled, unsaved spreadsheet document based on the template. That's what I'd expect.

OTOH, if a template is already opened, I am able to open a Calc file.

This, if anything, is the situation you might query. If you start a new, empty document (of any type) and, before making any entries, open an existing document, OpenOffice thinks you don't want the empty document and abandons it. Exactly the same applies if you open a template - which, after all, is just another way to start an unused, unsaved document, albeit one with properties defined in the template. If you start work on your new empty document (however little you do) it will not be abandoned.

Please advise how a template file can be opened while having a calc spreadsheet already opened.

This is the sequence that you can do perfectly normally.

I wonder if you may be thinking that "opening a template" means something different from starting a new document based on that template?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker