Every time I open a data file and make any changes I then save it with that
day's date added to the title. That way you will always have multiple copies
and can go back to an uncorrupted version if necessary.
When I send someone a file their name in addition to the date is added.

This is in addition to regular complete back ups of everything on my computer
to an exterior & portable hard-drive, which is stored in a separate building.

I like LaCie and I don't trust any version of the cloud.

You have just reminded me I need to start another backup system for a new and
separate technical laptop.

Doesn't help you now but may in the future.

Sorry you have this problem and it may be a very small comfort to know that
most of us have worked out our sometimes very personal backup strategies after
some catastrophic event.

Good luck

Lucetta