-------- Original Message --------
From: paul chapman <p_mc_1...@hotmail.co.uk>
To: users@openoffice.apache.org <users@openoffice.apache.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 15:18:55 +0000

> Hi I have copied a document  and would like to edit  it but I get this message
>
> open office requires a jarva  runtime   environment but I am using
>
> the chrome browser and it does not support it . can I download  something
> else?
> regards paul

Hi Paul,

You are confusing 2 unrelated situations.

The JRE (Java Runtime Environment) provides Java support for the
programs on your computer AND a plug-in for your browser, which you can
disable, or (as you suggest) your browser can ignore. So you can
download and install JRE, regardless of your chosen browser.

Some AOO (Apache OpenOffice) components (eg. Base, some wizards and
extensions) are written in and require Java (not the browser plug-in) in
order to function.
If you choose not to install JRE AOO will still work, but any attempt to
use any of it's components that require Java will generate the message
you are seeing.

Dave