On 14/05/17 5:22 AM, Bill Dillinger wrote:
Hello,
I can't seem to manage Calc with even a simple problem. I am trying to read and work with a spreadsheet made from a .csv file with columns of numbers. I really have tried to read and work with the HELP file.

First I could not add 4 numbers but with lots of tries found that it seemed to be because all my numbers ended in .0 and when I did a global replace of .0 with nothing I could then add numbers. Once I did that I was able to compute an average and then copy the formula to other places in the spreadsheet. I first did try formatting the number field but that didn't seem to help. If someone could tell me why I can't use numbers ending in .0 I would be interested.

First thing you should check is to see if the number is really a number. Sometimes when you open a CSV file the numbers are imported as text. It's good practise to tick the box "Detect special numbers" when you open or import CSV files. It's easy to check if a number is imported as text by selecting a cell look at the top bar if the number is preceded with ` e.g.
`123 it is a text field. Changing the format doesn't help.
You could do two things:
1 deleting all ` in the cells which doesn't make sense if you have a lot of numbers to change
 2 start from scratch and check the "Detect special numbers" box

Second my current problem is I cannot find the spread of 4 numbers. I tried =MAX(C2:C3;C4;C5)-MIN(C2;C3;C4:C5) and it worked! Then when I copied that formula into a new location to get =MAX(C6;C7;C8;C9)-MIN(C6;C7;C8;C9) it gives me the incorrect value 0. If I copy or type the formula into any other cell it will not work.

If anyone knows what my problem is I would appreciate it.

Thank you

Bill Dillinger