On 20/06/17 2:44 PM, Dayvid Artman wrote:
Gentlemen,

I am responding to your replies coincident as they almost seem like carbon copies in many ways.

No it's not a coincident that the replies look like carbon copies, it's a proof that we're on the same line with our thoughts.

WOW! Are we defensive or what?

Well, you started to use the word Critique in the subject.
According to the dictionary this word means "the art of criticism" and criticism is "a severe or unfavorable judgement". At the beginning of your email you start with "it is annoying and seems a bit arrogant" etc.

You are writing to a user mailing list, these users are voluntarily helping others. We are not programmers or developers so all we can do is giving advice or workarounds all within the limitations of our own knowledge. If you had started your email with explaining your problem instead of your frustration you probably had received a different answer.

Regarding the browser, maybe it isn't "yours", but it opened when I clicked on the email link in Open Office help, it looks like a browser, I had never seen that interface before, no program name was discoverable that I know of, and I coud not figure a way to get that communication back to a familiar environment. It had all the feel of my having been hijacked to a proprietary application. And the only way I have been able to get that UI back is to execute a link from within the Open Office Help environment. Maybe it isn't part of Open Office, but something in Open office is calling it, none of my other applications call that interface, and I haven't found any other way of getting to it except through the Open Office Help routine. I don't know what it is, but it looks like an Open office thing to me.

Now, regarding my error in sending this message to all of you, I simply followed a link within that Help routine that was labelled to provide feedback. If that isn't the appropriate way to do that, then for Pete's sake somebody change that link. And in the meantime, don't jump down somebody's throat for doing what they thought they were supposed to do.

Regarding the thrust of my feedback, both of you completely ignore or turn totally inside out the explanation of what I presented. I have read and reread my original words, and your interpretations of that take some real imagination. I don't know how I could have made it much more clear what I expected it to do and what it does instead, but that is worlds away from the mayhem you tow throw back at me. I will repeat here this part of what I said earlier: I can't image any use for what it actually does. Your descriptions are like from a different planet, introducing issues that are completely irrelevant as far as I can tell, and you made no effort to explain how they might relate.

Both of you assert that Open Office isn't and never was intended to be a clone of MS. I never suggested that it is or should be. I simply pointed out that a nearly identically named function in MS does do what the name implies, and OO does not. Furthermore, everybody knows that your assertion is a half truth at best. The developers of OO have striven to make the transition between the two as easy on the user as possible and tried to eliminate as many hurdles as possible for persons making the move to OO. I am a pretty intense user of spreadsheets, and I have used both Excel and Calc extensively. Calc is an exact clone of Excel in almost every way. The only difference that I can think of at the moment is the use of a semicolon for a parameter separator rather than the comma that Excel uses. I don't quite get why that difference exists, unless for copyright reasons. I don't have any particular grief with the similarly, although Gates might. I think it is wise on your part. Even the existence of that very function looks very suspiciously like an effort to emulate MS. It just doesn't work the same.

One of you also repeatedly questioned why I don't just use MS if I like it better. There are two fallacies in that argument. Firstly, I didn't say that I liked MS better. I simple offered this one function that I like better in that package and plead for inclusion of that in OO. I had the impression until I actually tried it that OO wanted suggestions from their users about things they liked and disliked. Apparently that is a ruse. Secondly, most users don't have a choice which of the two to use. Employers supply a computer and software, and employees are pretty much relegated to whatever that is, whether they like it or not. Your reaction is like me going into Sears and asking if they carry Michelin tires, and the clerk yelling "No, we don't carry Michelin tires, and if you don't like the tires we sell, then go to Walmart!" That would be just as ludicrous as your responses. A wise clerk would say something like, " I'm sorry sir, but we don't carry Michelin. They make a pretty good tire, and they are noted for long tire life and a quiet ride. We have a tire over here from a different manufacturer that has an identical milage warrenty as the most popular Michelin, and it has an amazingly quiet ride." But apparently, you two have no interest in showing me the benefits of OO, only blasting me to articulating a perceived shortcoming.

So a couple of technical points...

Martin says that the table will only be the same size if you don't distribute the rows. That is my point. It should be. Distributing the rows evenly should make them fill exactly the same total height as before, but with each row occupying an equal fraction of that height. If that isn't what it is intended to do, then the purpose of it escapes me. What it does do does not require a function or menu item. There are many ways to accomplish that, as I previously stated. And the reason that you both bring up changing fonts also escapes me, as the topic has no effect on fonts and is not affected by fonts in any way. It should work equally on empty cells and on cells with far more content than can display and on anything in between. Controlling the content is a completely separate discussion. In my case, all of the cells were completely empty except for the paragraph mark, and all rows were far taller both before and after the adjustment than was needed for that mark.

Martin ends by sarcastically suggesting that I check the table properties. There is nothing wrong with the table properties, and like fonts, that has no bearing on the topic either as far as I can tell. I got the results I wanted by determining the overall (total) height of the rows that I wanted proportioned into the space they currently occupied, calculated the even proportion that each row would need to occupy, and then set that value with the key-in of the row height. The table works just fine. The process just makes getting there more work that it seems like it should be. And if there is a way to do this that I haven't found, a more productive and civilized response would have been to point out that method to me.

Good day, gentlemen.