Hi,

In OO.org 2.4 and earlier I used to create diagrams in Draw that I could
export as PDF and then use the iText library [1] to stamp on top of an
existing PDF document.

The background of these exported PDFs would be transparent--that is, there
is nothing painted except for the figures in the digram, so when I would
overlay the diagram, it would fit seamlessly into the original document.

However, as of OO.org 3.0 (and in 3.1 as well), it appears that PDF export
from Draw/Impress explicitly creates a background rectangle the size of the
exported page that is filled with the "Document background" color
(Tools->Options->OO.org->Appearance), which defaults to an opaque white.

The problem is that when I go to overlay such a PDF ontop of another,
anything "underneath" the background is painted over white.  In order to
get seamless overlays I have to edit the PDF content stream directly to
remove the background rectangle, which is a bit annoying.

Is this a known/desired change in behavior between OO.org 2.4 and 3?  Was
it done for a particular reason?  If it is desired behavior, might there be
an option in the future to allow transparent backgrounds in PDF export?

Thanks!

[1] http://www.lowagie.com/iText/