The only example code I can find to authenticate to Sling will use the JEE
servlet container's "j_security_check" which then stores the authenticated
session in App Server memory. A load-balancer without sticky-sessions
enabled will cause an unstable experience for users, in which they are
suddenly unauthenticated.

-Does Sling already offer a mechanism for authenticating without storing
that JCR session in Servlet Container Session?
-Do any of you avoid sticky sessions without writing custom code?

I'm thinking that this problem *must* be solved already. Either there's an
authenticationhandler in Sling that I haven't found yet, or there's an
open-source example that somebody could share with me :)

If I must write this myself, is this the best place to start?
https://sling.apache.org/documentation/the-sling-engine/authentication/authentication-authenticationhandler.html
https://sling.apache.org/apidocs/sling8/org/apache/sling/auth/core/spi/AuthenticationHandler.html

... as usual, thanks guys. I realize I'm really dominating the mail list
lately. I've got a lot to solve :)