Hi Lance,

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 2:43 AM, lancedolan <lance.do...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...It pretty much always takes 1 second exactly for a Sling instance to get
> the
> latest revision, and thus the latest data. When not 1 second, it takes 2
> seconds exactly....

I don't know enough about Oak internals to give your a precise answer
here but this 1 second increment vaguely rings a bell, based on
discussions with Chetan when working on our adaptTo demo [1].

Chetan is one of the few Sling committers who's deep into Oak as well,
hopefully he can comment on this but otherwise best would be to ask on
the Oak dev list about that specific issue, as I think this delay is
entirely Oak dependent.

Apart from that, handling such things at the client level could be
valid - as you say if you had a way to send the current revision
number to the client (in an opaque way probably) it could add a header
to its next request saying that it wants to see that revision, and
Sling/Oak could block that request until that revision is available. I
suppose a one or two second delay that happens only rarely is
acceptable if it makes your system easier to scale, and hopefully that
1-second cycle can be configured to be shorter. I'm willing to help
make this functionality available if you don't find a better way, as I
think it can be generally useful.

-Bertrand

[1] https://github.com/bdelacretaz/sling-adaptto-2016