Through my years in Adobe CQ and AEM, I've noticed that LOG files from
components that I write always render twice per page request. Today I was
debugging my code in Sling 8 and noticed that My debugger was kicked open
twice each time I requested a page instead of once.

What's the deal with this? It seems really common, you guys must all be
familiar with it also?

It's dangerous because all components logic must be idempotent (imagine
posting duplicate records to a database). And then obviously, it's bad for
performance to do things twice unnecessarily.

I've seen this so often on so many projects that I'm not really tempted to
offer any steps to reproduce, you guys must be seeing this also right?

NOTE: The component is NOT included on the page more than once. This
behavior will occur when a component is included only once.