Lance, we are trying to do something similar.  We have an enterprise DAM and
would like to extend Adobe AEM 6.2 to enable the native AEM DAM UI widgets
to work with those remote assets in addition to native AEM assets.  We would
also like to enable search of those digital assets via the AEM content
finder and browse the assets via the native AEM components.  Did you have a
similar requirement regarding finding of the assets by content authors and
if so, would you mind sharing your solution for that?

Thanks,

Dave Beaudet
National Gallery of Art, Washington