On 8/2/2017 11:13 AM, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
I've just got finished moving a Tomcat instance's HTTPS connector from 8443 to 443, on a Google Compute Engine Debian instance (from Bitnami's canned Trac image). Something I've done literally dozens of times on AS/400s, along with the occasional WinDoze and Linux box. Always without incident. Until now. I move it, do a "service tomcat7 restart," and the port doesn't open.

I already moved the Apache 2 server's HTTPS port to a different port number, where it's working perfectly. There is nothing else listening on 443, and Apache 2 and Tomcat are operating independently of each other.

Binding on ports < 1024 on Linux require elevated permissions, no?