Addendum :
James,
this may also be of interest to you :
https://backdrift.org/tcp-ping-ping-tcp-port

On 10.08.2017 08:46, André Warnier (tomcat) wrote:
On 10.08.2017 02:32, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
This is weird. I've never seen this before.

Then again, I don't think I've installed Tomcat on Linux from a tarball before:
the
previous CentOS installation was, if I remember right, via Yum, and the one
Debian
installation I've done was via apt-get.

But I can apparently no longer reach the Yum repository from our CentOS 5
boxes, so I went
with the tarball.

It launches. The port opens. It shows up in a netstat. And I can reach it at
either
127.0.0.1:8080 or port 8080 at the box's own IP address.

 From the box it's running on.

But if I try to reach it from other boxes on the same LAN, I get "Firefox can't
establish
a connection" whether I use the box's name (from boxes that have it in their
host table),
or its IP address.

I can ping the box. And I can reach Samba shares on it. And I can ssh to it.

Ping works at the IP low level, so it means that there is an IP path to the
server, but it
does not say anything about TCP/UDP "open ports".
Samba and SSH working, means that TCP/UDP packets addressed to their respective
server
ports get through.
Firefox not working must mean that something is blocking port 8080.

Try "telnet ip_of_the_server 8080". It will either also tell you (after a while)
"port not
reachable", or show a blank screen. If the former, there /is/ something
blocking access to
port 8080 on the server. If the latter, then ip/port ip_of_the_server:8080 is
accessible,
and your problem is somewhere else.

Note: for "telnet", you will need a telnet client installed; this is not
necessarily
standard on non-Windows workstations.
And the reason for telnet is that it is about the simplest client that can be
used, that
shows when something comes back, but does not automatically follow "redirects"
and that
kind of stuff.

The only firewall on the Lan is a TP-Link N750, and if it has any settings in
place to
block traffic within the LAN, I can't find them.

I've got three different Tomcat 7 servers all running on the LAN, and can reach
them
easily.

--
JHHL