Tomcat 5.5.17
Solaris 5.10

Our Web Application is required to display hyperlinks to external files that
reside outside the web application based on certain business rules. The users
could then download these large PDF files.

We went ahead with the idea of symbolic links supported by Tomcat.

<Context path="/powerApp" allowLinking="true"/>

We deployed the application and created a symbolic link under the web
application directory to point to another external directory on the same
server. All the hyperlinks use the symbolic link.

The Application worked fine. When we undeploy the application, Tomcat seems to
be deleting the war file, the exploded directory and also all
the external files that are present in the directory pointed to by the symbolic
link!

I was expecting tomcat to delete only the war file, the exploded directory
including the symbolic link, but not the external PDF files during an
undeployment!

I googled on the net and found that this behaviour has been observed on both
Tomcat 5.x and Tomcat 6.x but no proper explanation to this issue.

I was wondering if this is the expected behaviour of Tomcat in this scenario or
is it a bug?