From: USMA [mailto:usma-boun...@colostate.edu] On Behalf Of
jmsteele9...@sbcglobal.net
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 5:35 PM
To: Michael Payne <metricmik...@gmail.com>; USMA <usma@colostate.edu>
Subject: [USMA 136] Re: Formatting numbers and the decimal marker

In the Preface to the SI Brochure, the BIPM notes that THEY use the point as
the decimal marker in the English text and the comma in the French text (the
only two languages they support).

I think the logical conclusion is that the English language and
English-speaking countries use the point, OTHER languages may use the comma.
To avoid confusion, neither may use either as a thousands divider (at least in
an SI measurement context), only the space should be used.  I am aware they
recommend a thin space, but on the Internet, there is a problem.  The Unicode
non-breaking thin space is unreliable and does not decode in many browsers or
fonts. I think it would be almost mandatory to use the regular non-breaking
space.  Also, I think the financial community will not support the space as
thousands separator, but I support it for SI data.

In an English Wikipedia article, the decimal marker should be the point.