My letter to a newsletter author/publisher:

I enjoy reading your articles, particularly when they cover energy topics.
One thing that would make them easier to read and compare numbers would be
the use one unit only when energy per time if of concern. Here are three
examples of monetary values for a unit of power: $/W.

- Your $7 billion for 1000 MW is simply 7 $/W. It is a shorter statement
and usable for any capital investments when power source or appliance is
concerned.

- Ivanpah CSP construction cost for the planned output was 18 $/W. It
became 54 $/W for the actual wattage averaged during the first two years of
operation.

- The Unit 2 nuclear plant in CT built in 1975 cost 0.5 $/W then, and 2.4
$/W when adjusted for inflation to today. The wattage reflects the actual,
average output during 40 years.

Similarly with units for related criteria such as:

- Area power density - W/m2. Example: 2 kW/m2 at a nuclear plant for the
fenced-in area, actual output for a decade.

- Output per employee: A nuclear plant example: 1.8 MW per person, actual
wattage for a decade.

It is easier to uncover misleading numbers if we resort to these simple
units.They are applicable for any power plant (solar or thermal), for
planned or actual output, measured in an hour or a decade, etc. The values
are easier to remember thus facilitating comparisons.

I trust you will receive this comment favorably.

Stan Jakuba.