Add to the product areas metricated from the start the luminous flux (lumen) and luminous intensity (lux) in the measurement of flashlight intensity, as advertised in current television advertising. I don't remember any units being used before (probably because flashlights weren't advertised on television), but for military-grade flashlights now availabie for the home, the units used from the start have been metric: lumens, sometimes luxes.

I doubt that most Americans have heard of either unit. They may have heard of the obsolete "candlepower," but not have known to what it referred. In the case of product areas not widely known to the public, I have noticed that metric units are used from the start without apology and without backlash. The same was true with Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs), which have been measured and labeled from the start in lumens and Kelvins.