Sounds good, thanks.

> My question is: how can I extract the translatable strings with xgettext
> from a genie source file? xgettext has support for vala, but the manpage
> says nothing about genie, and when trying, it tries with C syntax...

You could try:
xgettext --language=Vala
This picks up:
    print _( "simple translation sample" )

    print dgettext( null, "simple translation sample" )

    print( _( "simple translation sample" ))
    print( dgettext( null, "simple translation sample" ))
in Genie.

You could also try:
xgettext --language=Python
if there are any problems with white space parsing, although I'm not sure that
is used. Genie doesn't use the # for comments though.

Al