Genie has a smaller user base. If you have a GitHub account you can
find other Genie projects with this query:

https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=extension%3Ags+indent+OR+def+OR+uses+OR+construct+NOT+package+NOT+function&type=Code&ref=searchresults

That query is part of getting Genie recognised on GitHub:
https://github.com/github/linguist/pull/3396

A recent project that runs on Windows 10 and uses SDL2:
https://github.com/darkoverlordofdata/shmupwarz-vala

The commit log for the Genie scanner and parser:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/vala/log/vala/valageniescanner.vala
https://git.gnome.org/browse/vala/log/vala/valagenieparser.vala

So I don't think you can say Genie is "dead". It would depend on how
optimistic you are, whether it is worth sticking with Genie or learning Vala.

Al