Is this probably a bug in the vala implementation?
Since I replaced the implementation of the clone method it works without any problem. Here's my code:

public Number(string value){
    _data = value.data;

    for (int i = 0; i < _data.length; i++){
        _data[i] -= 48;
    }
}

private Number.from_data(uint8[] data){
    _data = data;
}

// [...]

public Number clone(){
    return new Number.from_data(_data);
    //return new Number(to_string()); <-- this was the old implementation
}

public string to_string(){
    uint8[] str = new uint8[_data.length];

    for (int i = 0; i < str.length; i++){
        str[i] = _data[i] + 48;
    }
    return (string)str;
}

I can't imagine what should go wrong if i subtract 48 from a whole array and add it to it later on.

Sincerely,
Thomas Thaler