Base64.decode returns an array of unsigned char (uchar[]). This is the
same as uint8[], also known as a buffer. Instead of casting to string
assign the data to a buffer and then use MemoryInputStream:

[indent=4]
uses Gdk

init
    data:array of uint8 = Base64.decode ("iVBORw0KGgoAAAAN ...")
    var stream = new MemoryInputStream.from_data( data )
    try
        var image = new Pixbuf.from_stream( stream )
    except err:Error
        print( err.message )

You dummy data gives me:
Premature end-of-file encountered

So it kind of works, hopefully it will with a real image.

Al