----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Walsh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I have noticed some unique behavior with regards to where vpopmail
> decides to place a new user folder.
>
> We have a domain with over 5000 mailboxes and vpopmail is using folders
> under the domain to hold the maildirs.

> It seems that a preponderance of maildirs are being created in the
> directory a. To the point where I think the directory hash is suffering
> (ufs based filesystems).

> I have also had a problem with vpopmail removing deactivated accounts
> completely. Sometimes when a users account is deactivated I can go back
> to the users directory and find some dir (tmp, cur, or new) still
> remaining. This causes a reactivation to fail with "User's directory
> already exists?". I then delete the users maildir remnants and the
> reactivation occurs as it should.
>
> I am also running NFS on the backend... So that might have something to
> do with the removal problem... But is certainly not the problem with the
> directory selection. Seems like more entropy is needed in the directory
> selection algorithm.

I dont use NFS, and I have never seen that sort of problem.

> The system is FreeBSD 4.8 running vpopmail 5.3.20 with an NFS backend
> for the ~vpopmail/domains/.
>
> Thoughts or comments?

That is interesting

I tried that on my server for a domain containing 5700 mailboxes,
and found the distribution to be nice and even.

All hashes had between 60 and less 99 entries.

My server always has the current devel version installed.
MySQL backend
Redhat linux.

Michael.