If I may weigh in on thisŠ

I also received almost NO film/media training in library school.  (Long
before many of you were born or out of diapers, I surmise:  1974-5). I did
take a film course in Rutgers' MLS program, and a non-print resources
course at Columbia, as part of my study.  I went to library school to BE a
media librarianŠ that was my objective.  And I complained bitterly that
there were so few courses that addressed media as a format.  Thus my
course at Columbia.

AFTER my studies concluded Rutgers added a course in Reference resources
for film/media study.  I picked up most of my knowledge on the job.

Several have suggested some form of training at ALA or even National Media
Market.

In my opinion these are not the correct venues.  This comes from the data
Jane Hutchison and I have collected in our Survey of Academic Library
Streaming Video (first results presented at the CCUMC conference last
week, and a fuller report to be presented at the Charleston Conference
next month.

It is clear from our study that decision making is moving out of the hands
of media librarians and increasingly into the hands of Collection
Development/Acquisitions units.

So while I applaud the idea of some form of boot camp trainingŠ, in my
opinion it has to be directed not at those who already are handling media,
but to those who are assuming that responsibility.

I think the place to run such a program is the Charleston Conference,
which offers a full day of pre-conference workshops.  This would be an
excellent opportunity to reach the people who are now beginning to assume
the responsibilities for media acquisitions and have NO background in
media at all.

My, $.02

-deg

deg farrelly, Media Librarian
Arizona State University Libraries
Hayden Library C1H1
P.O. Box 871006
Tempe, Arizona  85287-1006
Phone:  602.332.3103

---

http://tinyurl.com/AboutNMM
To market, to market, to find some fresh filmŠ
I'm attending the 2013 National Media Market, November 3-7
In Charleston, South Carolina.  See you there?