Dear Viff Development Team,

Tomas Toft and I are using ViFF to analyze Toft's secure Linear
Programming protocol. At the first sight everything seemed to work
nicely, but when trying to increase the number of participants and the
threshold we've found an annoying fact about ViFF:

The threshold should be given explicitly when creating the runtime in
any ViFF program. ViFF doesn't check whether this threshold matches with
the parameters given in the configuration files. Wouldn't it be nicer if
the threshold is read by "create_runtime(id, players, threshold,
options, Toft05Runtime)" automatically?

Now doing this consistently and setting #players =3 and threshold =1
works and setting #players=5 and threshold=2 also works. However, there
seems to be some bug somewhere when trying #players=5 and threshold=1.
I've altered the millionaires.py such that it deals with 5 players
instead of three and it provides correct output if threshold=2 but
correct output for the participants 1, 2 and 3 only (and junk for
players 4 and 5) if threshold=1... In addition, if I create the
config-files with 5 players and threshold=1 and if I put threshold=2 in
the millionaires program, it works again, i.e., provides correct
output....

Hopefully, this information helps you finding the bug. If anything needs
some clarification I'm happy to provide you more details...

Sincerely,

Sebastiaan de Hoogh

(PhD student at Eindhoven University of Technology)