That is not the only problem. To free the memory of the shares and to send out further shares, also the incoming shares must be processed as soon as possible. This is even trickier because incoming shares might trigger code that calls functions sending out data, which activates the Twisted reactor again and therefore leads to a possibly too deep recursion. I think I have a solution for that, it just wasn't necessary to implement it for now because the hack worked anyway.

Ah, but the numbers I had been shown did not indicate we were anywhere near running out of memory. That's not to say memory isn't important (it certainly will be in cases with huge amounts of operations), I just didn't think it had anything to do with our specific test cases for the paper.

Sorry, maybe I expressed myself not clear enough: We are not running out of memory, we are too slow because there are delays due to the control flow. I think that higher memory usage is just a side effect.