Nigel Smart <ni...@compsci.bristol.ac.uk> writes:

> Having installed...
>
> Twisted, Zope and other stuff, I get the error....
>
> apps% python generate-config-files.py -n 3 -t 1 \
> ? localhost:9001 localhost:9002 localhost:9003
> Seeding random generator with random seed 9319
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "generate-config-files.py", line 57, in ?
>     from viff.config import generate_configs
>   File "/home/projects/crypto/Linux/lib/python/viff/config.py", line 35, in ?
>     from viff.paillierutil import ViffPaillier
>   File "/home/projects/crypto/Linux/lib/python/viff/paillierutil.py", line
> 18, in ?
>     from viff import paillier
>
>   blah blah blah
>
>   File
> "/home/projects/crypto/Linux//lib64/python/twisted/internet/tcp.py",
> line 74, in ?
>     from twisted.internet import defer, base, address, fdesc
>   File
> "/home/projects/crypto/Linux//lib64/python/twisted/internet/base.py",
> line 19, in ?
>     from twisted.python.compat import set
> ImportError: cannot import name set
>

> So clearly "set" is something I should be picking up from somewhere.
> Any idea where?

"set" is a built-in set data type in Python 2.4 and later. Twisted has a
compatibility module for older versions of Python. On my system, the
twisted/python/compat.py file (from which the code tries to import
"set") has

  try:
      set = set
  except NameError:
      from sets import Set as set

which simply tests to see if "set" is defined, otherwise it imports it
From the sets module, which defines a Set class in old Python versions.

Which Python version are you using (python -V)? Which distribution is
this? Twisted is a standard component which is surely packaged for the
distribution -- there should be no need to installing it yourself.

--
Martin Geisler