-----Original Message-----
From: vnc-list-boun...@realvnc.com [mailto:vnc-list-bounces@realvnc.
com] On Behalf Of Christopher Woods (CustomMade)
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:56 PM
To: Long, Phillip GOSS; vnc-list@realvnc.com
Subject: RE: VNC server stops responding after a few days

> Is your static IP address in the range of the router's DHCP
> addresses?  That won't work, because the computer, knowing
> that it has a static IP, won't request a lease renewal, and
> after some maximum amount of time, the DHCP server will try
> to force one.
> What will happen in this case depends greatly on the software
> and OS the computer is running, and on the behavior of the
> router.  I'm not a network guy, but I do know that unless
> your router is more sophisticated than the average
> small-office router, static IP addresses *MUST* be outside
> any range of DHCP addresses of your router.

FWIW, I've experienced pretty much set-and-forget behaviour from soho /
half-decent routers where you can assign a static IP and they'll respect
the
assignation (or in the cleverer routers, you can fix a static lease). My
previous home Speedtouch TG585v7 could happily do this, as can the
D-Link at
work. (Tomato which I use at home on a WRT54GL these days just ...
Works.)

Surely if a machine has a fixed static IP, it doesn't even enter into
discussion with the network's DHCP server to request a lease? Just the
usual
broadcast traffic...

Goss ... Innovation for Business

NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachment(s) may contain confidential and
proprietary information of Goss International Corporation and/or its
subsidiaries and may be legally privileged. This e-mail is intended solely for
the addressee. If you are not the addressee, dissemination, copying or other
use of this e-mail or any of its content is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender
immediately and destroy the e-mail and any copies. All liability for viruses is
excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender. No contract may be construed by
this e-mail.