I'm using ...

Xvnc Free Edition 4.1.1

I use vncserver :1 -localhost

If I am not at the desktop, I connect via ssh via port forward using this script:

------------begin script on next line---------------------------
#!/usr/bin/bash

ssh -f -L 25901:127.0.0.1:5901 me@mybox sleep 10
vncviewer -Shared 127.0.0.1::25901 &> /dev/null &
-----------end script on previous line--------------------------

Most ports on the network are blocked by a firewall, but ssh is open.

Thanks for replying.

I have to say, though, your questions seem generic and unrelated to my question. I wouldn't have thought any information would be needed to answer the question about what needs to be running on the system for VNC to work. For all of these scenarios (connection, network, etc.) isn't the answer the same about whether a window manager needs to be running on :0? Or maybe you are thinking about other ways I might use VNC to get what I want (e.g., connecting to :0). I'm definitely interested. Thanks.

Mike