Posted by Todd Zywicki:
IS SOCIAL SECURITY "STUPIDITY INSURANCE"?

   I have received a surprisingly large amount of email in response to my
   post on money markets investments and Social Security. To remind
   everyone, the small point I was making was that even if people can
   invest some of their Social Security money that does not mean they
   have to invest it in the stock market. They could invest it
   essentially risk-free in a money market account and get a low-risk,
   low-return payoff. So no one is being forced to accept risk that they
   don't want. (A particular witty response that I enjoyed was whether
   political critics would consider it "too risky" if people invested
   their portion in Treasury or other government bonds.)

   Most emails, however, did not respond to that particular point but
   were more general. It is said that I have missed the point about the
   purpose of Social Security. The argument is essentially that
   notwithstanding the fact that people could invest in money market
   funds, some people might foolishly invest in the stock market (for any
   number of proffered reasons), and the purpose of Social Security
   essentially is "stupidity insurance"--i.e., to protect people from
   their own stupidity. Relatedly, it is also to "keep old people from
   starving in the streets."

   It may be obvious to point this out, but the alternative to Social
   Security is not that old people will be destitute. It is just that old
   people might not get to retire (and worst case scenario might have to
   work until they died), or more realistically, that they might have to
   work longer in order to get enough money to retire at 70 or 75 instead
   of 65. And the proposal on the table isn't even to eliminate SS, it is
   simply to allow people to invest some of it, and the concern is that
   some people might invest their sliver poorly. So no able-bodied person
   will be destitute if he makes bad investments, he might just have to
   retire at 68 instead of 65 (and if he makse good investments then he
   can retire at 62) .

   Retirees who aren't able-bodied are covered by a huge web of other
   social welfare programs, not the core Social Security program that we
   are discussing. So the recurrent theme of my email traffic that old
   people will be destitute because of bad investments is not a coherent
   position. It may be unfortunate that someone who makes good
   investments can retire a few years earlier than someone who makes bad
   investments, but that is a long, long way from saying grandma will be
   sleeping in a cardboard box. But first consider why the "stupidity
   insurance" argument doesn't add up more generally. The Stupidity
   Insurance Argument Proves Too Little. First, the "stupidity insurance"
   argument proves too little in that it doesn't explain Social Security
   as it actually exists. First, imagine a hypothetical able-bodied guy
   who makes such stupid economic decisions that he decides to never gets
   a job--say he lives with his parents at home his entire life, plays
   Madden on Playstation 2 all day, and lives off an allowance from his
   parents. He turns 65. His parents die. He has no job and he is
   destitute. Is he eligible for SS? No--because he never worked and
   never paid into the system. You have to actually work a certain number
   of quarters during your life in order to be eligible. The primary
   purpose of SS is simply not a social welfare program designed to keep
   people from being destitute, or stupid guy would be entitled to SS.
   The logic has something to do with something like an earned
   entitlement--and part of that earned entitlement involves making the
   decision to work rather than not work. Second, it pays benefits to
   high-income people who don't need it. Surely there are plenty of other
   eligibility requirements that prevent someone from receiving SS.
   Nothing about eligibility turns on someone's income or how destitute
   he is or how stupid his economic investments have been. Again, those
   are covered by other social insurance programs.

   Nor does Social Security actually insure you from being destitute. You
   could take your SS check every month and invest it speculating in the
   stock market and if you make bad investments you are still destitute.
   It is still up to you not to make stupid investments, so it simply
   changes the time of the decision to post-retirement rather than
   pre-retirement. Or you could have very high credit card bills or other
   liabilities when you retire, such that almost all your money goes to
   paying your creditors. It is not clear to me why a 64 year-old cannot
   be trusted not to invest his social security entitlement in the stock
   market wisely prior to retirement, but can be trusted as a 65 year old
   post-retirement to spend his money wisely. So unless we actually
   control every investment someone makes, we are not providing
   destitution insurance anyway. The Stupidity Insurance Argument Proves
   Too Much. It also proves too much, in that it doesn't explain why we
   would prohibit this one particular "risky" investment, but allow
   people to make all kinds of other risky investments that could make
   them destitute. If the idea is to protect people from their own
   stupidity, what do we do about the guy who drops out of Harvard to
   start his own computer company (which will probably fail)--and is not
   named Bill Gates? Or someone who uses his kid's college fund to start
   a new business? Most new businesses fail, and when they fail, people
   often lose their life savings and could become destitute (although
   they wouldn't be entitled to Social Security). Should we prohibit
   people from investing their life savings in a new business (rather
   than forcing them to put it into a passbook savings account) because
   they are too stupid to realize what a bad investment it is? Indeed,
   could we in good conscience ever allow someone to quit their job to
   try to become a painter or an author? Should we only allow 30 year
   olds to start a new business but not 58 year olds because the latter
   is too close to retirement age?

   In short, if there is a coherent justification for Social Security
   (and opposition to SS reform) it must be something more along the
   lines of what I understand it actually to have been its original
   purpose when it was set up during the New Deal--that Social Security
   is a retirement entitlement that people earn by working. The idea is
   that people who work hard for their adult lives are entitled to some
   degree of leisure in their golden years. And that regardless of
   whether Homer Simpson works for 25 years as a blue-collar worker at
   Springfield Power or Montgomery Burns works for 25 years as the
   president of Springfield Power, they are entitled to the same minimal
   degree of comfort and leisure in retirement, regardless of what they
   earned while working. What matters is that they both worked hard for
   the requisite number of years--if you work, you get it and if you
   don't work you don't get it. Paternalism and protecting old people
   from destitution have nothing to do with this. Thus, the program is in
   fact designed to have some redistributionist, or perhaps more
   accurately stated, "equalizing" component to it.

   This might also provide an argument for why we are concerned about
   people frittering away some of their SS on bad investments. If you
   invest the bit of your money that would otherwise go in SS in a bad
   investment, that may mean that you have to work an extra couple of
   years before you retire. If we think that people have an entitlement
   to retire at the age specified by SS, then perhaps this is contrary to
   the purpose of SS. I personally don't find the argument to be all that
   persuasive, but it strikes me that a persuasive argument against
   Social Security reform must be grounded in the actual purpose of the
   program, rather than overwrought and unrealistic concerns about
   starving old people.