The mechanism must logically explain how He4, tritium, and transmutation
are produced without energetic radiation being detected.
***A couple of years back I thought EN Tsyganov was onto something.
http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/files/Cold%20nuclear%20fusion.pdf

4. THE PROBLEM OF “NONRADIATIVE” RELEASE OF NUCLEAR FUSION ENERGY.

As we have already noted, the virtual absence of conventional nuclear decay
products of the

compound nucleus was widely regarded as one of the paradoxes of DD fusion
with the formation

of 4He in the experiments [2]. We proposed the explanation of this paradox
in [4]. We believe

that after penetration through the Coulomb barrier at low energies and the
materialization of the

two deuterons in a potential well, these deuterons retain their identity
for some time. This time

defines the frequency of further nuclear reactions. Figure 2 schematically
illustrates the

mechanism of this process. After penetration into the compound nucleus at a
very low energy,

the deuterons happen to be in a quasi-stabile state seating in the opposite
potential wells. In

principle, this system is a dual “electromagnetic-nuclear” oscillator. In
this oscillator the total

kinetic energy of the deuteron turns into potential energy of the
oscillator, and vice versa. In the

case of very low-energy, the amplitude of oscillations is small, and the
reactions with nucleon

exchange are suppressed.

􀀂􀀁

Fig. 2. Schematic illustration of the mechanism of the nuclear decay
frequency

dependence on the compound nucleus 4He* excitation energy for the merging

deuterons is presented. The diagram illustrates the shape of the potential
well of

the compound nucleus. The edges of the potential well are defined by the
strong

interaction, the dependence at short distances 􀀁 Coulomb repulsion.􀀁

􀀁

The lifetime of the excited 4He* nucleus can be considered in the formalism
of the usual

radioactive decay. In this case,

N(t) /N0 =

􀀁t􀀂 e

Here 􀀂 is the decay frequency, i.e., the reciprocal of the decay time 􀀃.
According to our

hypothesis, the decay rate is a function of excitation energy of the
compound nucleus E.

Approximating with the first two terms of the polynomial expansion, we have:

Here 􀀂 0 is the decay frequency at asymptotically low excitation energy.
According to quantummechanical

considerations, the wave functions of deuterons do not completely disappear
with

decreasing energy, as illustrated by the introduction of the term 􀀂 0. The
second term of the

expansion describes the linear dependence of the frequency decay on the
excitation energy.

The characteristic nuclear frequency is usually about 1022 s

􀀁1. In fusion reaction D+D􀀂4He

there is a broad resonance at an energy around 8 MeV. Simple estimates by
the width of the

resonance and the uncertainty relation gives a lifetime of the intermediate
state of about

0.8􀀁10

􀀁22 s. The “nuclear” reaction rate falls approximately linearly with
decreasing energy.

Apparently, a group of McKubre [2] operates in an effective energy range
below 2 keV in the

c.m.s. Thus, in these experiments, the excitation energy is at least 4􀀁103
times less than in the

resonance region. We assume that the rate of nuclear decay is that many
times smaller. The

corresponding lifetime is less than 0.3􀀁10

􀀁18 s. This fall in the nuclear reaction rate has little

effect on the ratio of output decay channels of the compound nucleus, but
down to a certain limit.

This limit is about 6 keV. A compound nucleus at this energy is no longer
an isolated system,

since virtual photons from the 4He* can reach to the nearest electron and
carry the excitation

energy of the compound nucleus. The total angular momentum carried by the
virtual photons can

be zero, so this process is not prohibited.

For the distance to the nearest electron, we chose the radius of the
electrons in the helium

atom (3.1􀀁10

􀀁11 m). From the uncertainty relations, duration of this process is about
10

􀀁19

seconds. In the case of “metal-crystalline” catalysis the distance to the
nearest electrons can be

significantly less and the process of dissipation of energy will go faster.
It is assumed that after

an exchange of multiple virtual photons with the electrons of the
environment the relatively

􀀃􀀁

small excitation energy of compound nucleus 4He* vanishes, and the
frequency of the compound

nucleus decaying with the emission of nucleons will be determined only by
the term 􀀂 0. For

convenience, we assume that this value is no more than 1012-1014 per
second. In this case, the

serial exchange of virtual photons with the electrons of the environment in
a time of about 10

􀀁16

will lead to the loss of ~4 MeV from the compound nucleus (after which
decays with emission of

nucleons are energetically forbidden), and then additional exchange will
lead to the loss of all of

the free energy of the compound nucleus (24 MeV) and finally the nucleus
will be in the 4He

ground state.

The energy dissipation mechanism of the compound nucleus 4He* with virtual
photons,

discussed above, naturally raises the question of the
electromagnetic-nuclear structure of the

excited compound nucleus.

Fig. 3. Possible energy diagram of the excited 4He* nucleus is presented.􀀁