Dave--

It may be that the high temperatures cause the resonant coupling to disappear
such that the mass energy  transfer to phonic energy (thermal vibrations) is
not so available.

This would be like a fission reactor with a negative temperature coeff.  For
fission reactors (U-235 types) the thermal neutron flux is what normally
determines energy output.   The mechanism is the resonant matching of the
frequency (particle wave length) of the neutron relative to the fission
absorption frequency (related to fission cross section) of U-235.  If the
population of neutrons gets too hot they will not be absorbed as readily and
the fissioning rate decreases.  (Prompt or fast neutrons are another story.
These come directly from a U-235 fission and can also cause fissioning by
hitting the U-235 with lots of energy.  If a fast neutron chain reaction (more
fast neutrons produced than needed cause another fission) happens, the device
will explode.  You do not want this to happen.

Thus, knowing resonances and how temperature and other parameters—electric and
magnetic fields, for example—change the resonances is key to LENR device design
IMHO.

Bob Cook