Steven,

I know that in the past you have wondered if the second focus of an ellipse
could have any role to play in the determination of orbits, since it plays
no role in Kepler laws or in Newton's derivation of Kepler laws.  Well a
few years ago, I invented a geometrical method in which the second focus of
an ellipse is first located prior to determining the shape and size of an
orbit. Information about speed and escape velocity is first mapped to
positions on the circumference of a circle and this point is used to
projectively locate the second focus (Fe) relative to the planet which is
located at the first focus (Fp). Once the second focus is located the shape
of orbit can be computed. However, my computations consist of geometric
constructions and a gif animation which you can view here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_i-KDTRAy7I9q54g6H22shW7M5e-fj36Sva_seHj75Y/edit?usp=sharing

This method of drawing conic sections is not new, but I think how I use of
this method is new.

Harry