I may be remembering wrong, but I believe that the evanescent magnetic
field strength falls off as 1/r^3 and the coupled evanescent power falls
off as 1/r^6.  For the propagating field, the strength of the magnetic
field falls off as 1/r in free space and the coupled power falls off as
1/r^2.  In cluttered environments, the propagating field falls off more
quickly.  The insertion loss of the coils is proportional to the loaded Q
to unloaded Q ratio.