It is possible Murray looked over Penon's shoulder while the meter was being crated for shipment. I doubt he would have been allowed to touch it in the circumstances. There was also a rumor that Rossi had duplicate instrumentation in place, so it could have been that meter. Like everything in this case the facts are not well enough known to form a judgement yet, despite your touching faith in Murray. The missing pipe drawing should be enough to make you suspicious.
AA