Where were you in 1991? In retrospect, it could have been a watershed year,
a turning point in history and for a cosmic reason that few appreciate.

Although SETI continues to search for signals from advanced life elsewhere
in the Universe, it is looking like there is almost zero chance it will be
productive, so long as communication is dependent on radio waves and inverse
square ... takes too much power, and gives away too much info. Then there is
1991 VG, hidden in plain view.

There are better ways to snoop around the cosmos than radio. The "Bracewell
probe" is an example of a technology that we could expect to be capable of
one day. This concept was visually depicted by the "monolith" of 2001 A
Space Odyssey. It is a self-powered compact AI . in the form of an
autonomous probe built to last tens of thousands of years - for the express
purpose of looking for remote civilizations but not giving away much else...