Chris-

I have understood that phonons are “virtual” particles that represent a
localized energy in a crystal lattice made up of kinetic energy and potential
energy in a resonant stable dynamic state.  It is primarily thought to be an
electric field that couples the nuclei and electrons in the lattice—primarily
the valence electrons.  The nuclei oscillate around some mid position in the
lattice and valence  electrons change their orbital spin states reflecting the
motion of the nuclei.

Temperature of the crystal lattice is a measure of the amplitude of the nuclei
special displacement around their mid position in the lattice.  If the crystal
constitutes a coherent QM system, then all nuclei vibrate with the same
amplitude and the crystal is at a single temperature.  If the amplitude
(temperature) get to high, the crystal electronic bonds fail and the order of
the crystalline coherent system is lost.

Magnetic fields change the nature of the potential/kinetic energy sharing.  A
preferred direction in the crystal is created relative to the magnetic B field
that exists within the crystalline coherent system.  The orbital spin energy
states of the valence electrons are modified.  Large B fields can cause large
changes in these orbital spin states.  If there are resonances between a
nuclear orbital spin state of the coherent system and an electronic orbital
spin state, it would seem possible that spin energy may be swapped, changing
nuclear potential energy into PHONIC  energy of the crystalline coherent
system.

A variable B field induced by a variable ambient H magnetic field will create a
universe of differing spin energy states each with a small difference in it
angular momentum.  If total angular momentum can be conserved, IMHO A
TRANSITION WILL OCCUR.

It may be also possible that the transition is reversible.  In such case a
reduction of the temperature—lower electron orbital energy—would be the result.
 (Such a reversal suggests a new concept of temperature, one which shares
potential and kinetic energy between nuclear entities and electrons. )

Bob Cook

Sent from Mail for Windows 10