Does it necessarily require a violation of CoE?
It could be we don't know enough about nuclear matter to know how to build
or take apart nuclei with much less energy.

With a sledge hammer and a great deal of force a structure can be assembled
or broken down without knowing much about the nature of the structural
connections. However, if one knows the structural connections are screws
rather than nails much less energy is required.

Harry