I wrote:

> This is project to be funded at $1 million per year for 20 years, with 15
> different research categories. So I guess we are talking about $67,000 per
> year.

Sorry, I misread that. The grants are for 1 or 2 years, and there are 15
categories. The amount of the grant is either 100 million yen, or 20
million yen, depending. ($1 million or $200,000.) This is explained in
section III in the main page:

http://www.nedo.go.jp/koubo/CA1_100134.html

III. 研究開発テーマの規模・NEDO負担率

1億円程度以内/(年・件) (委託:NEDO負担率100%)

(注)大学・公的研究機関のみによる実施の場合は、規模は2,000万円を上限とする。

Google translate with comments added by me:

III. Scale of R & D theme · NEDO burden ratio
About 100 million yen / (year · [*per*] matter [*meaning subject; project*])
(consigned: NEDO burden ratio 100%)
(Note) In the case of implementation only by universities / [*or*]
public [*government
owned*] research institutions, the scale is limited to 20 million yen.

In other words, when the project is conducted only at a university or
national lab, the maximum budget is 20 million yen. The project in question
has corporate participants so I guess it is slated for $1 million.

Participants are: Technova Inc., Nissan Automobile, Kyushu Nat. University,
Tohoku Nat. University.

http://www.nedo.go.jp/library/seika/shosai_201607/20160000000621.html

You can do a search for information on this project, limiting the search to
NEDO pages, with the following Google search term:

site:http://www.nedo.go.jp 金属水素

This works better than the longer search term I listed before.