On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 6:06 PM, H LV <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:

Does it necessarily require a violation of CoE?
> It could be we don't know enough about nuclear matter to know how to build
> or take apart nuclei with much less energy.

It's not necessarily a matter of COE; e.g., perhaps most of the energy was
quietly dissipated via neutrinos, following Robin's suggestion.  But if
there is a nuclear transformation from not-iron to iron, and neutrinos were
not a big factor, then the physics is straightforward:

  E = mc^2 = [ (mass of not-iron) - (mass of excess iron) ] c^2 = [delta
mass] c^2

If for some reason this situation does not hold, then it seems to me that
the CoE discussion comes up again.

Eric