By using probability-based algorithms to derive meaning from huge amounts
of data, researchers discovered that they didn’t need to teach a computer
how to accomplish a task; they could just show it what people did and let
the machine figure out how to emulate that behavior under similar
circumstances. They used genetic algorithms
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_algorithm>, which comb through
randomly generated chunks of code, skim the highest-performing ones, and
splice them together to spawn new code. As the process is repeated, the
evolved programs become amazingly effective, often comparable to the output
of the most experienced coders.

https://www.wired.com/2010/12/ff_ai_essay_airevolution/